Saturday, January 1, 2011

Bob & Larry


Stephen is quite fond of Veggie Tales, and I thought Bob and Larry's spherical and cylindrical shapes would lend themselves to crocheting in the round. Larry was pretty easy. I think I started with 5 stitches in Round 1 and increased by five each round until I had 25 stitches. Then I just continued with 25 stitches until he seemed a good "Larry" length and decreased by five until I got down to ten, then skipped every other stitch to tie off. The eyes are black and white felt, the mouth black felt with an embroidered white tooth. I had to study Stephen's DVD boxes to get this to look right. I'm not terribly pleased with my embroidery skills though! The nose begins with R1: chain 2, 3 stitches. R2: 2 sc in each stitch. R3: 1 sc in each.

Bob has a really fat, flat head/body. He's about 22 rounds total. To get the flat top, I started R1 with 7 stitches and increased by 7 each round until I had 42 stitches. There's three rows of 42 after that, and then I decreased to 35 and held it at 35 stitches for a row. Then I decreased to 21 and held it at 21 for a second round. Then I decreased by 7 until I could tie off. Bob has bigger eyes than Larry, the same kind of nose and a simple embroidered mouth. He's also got a green felt star-shaped calyx sewn on the top of his head.

I should have written down the exact "recipe" for these guys, but I was making them in whatever spare bits of time I could find lately... which is not very much!

No comments:

Post a Comment